Sunday 25 July 2010

Organic makeup and spray tan

For all you girls out there who want to make the switch to organic make up and cosmetics!

This is an area that is gaining in popularity as more and more information becomes available about the ingredients of conventional make up and their unwanted effects. I have long been an advocate of organic makeup and cosmetics because I have quite sensitive skin and I would find the skin on my face in particular flaring up when I would put on any type of foundation or moisturizer. The same effect would happen in the shower, so in the end I just switched to all natural products.


Vita Liberata Spray Tan - Paraben Free
I have just started using Vita Liberata spray tan and let me tell you I honestly think it is brilliant. I do need to tell you however that in the PR blurb it says that you can get your tan and immediately go about your activities, well from my experience I leave it until late evening - get it done and then go to bed and wash it off the following morning. Again I am being brutally honest here, the sheets do get a fair amount of residue on them but it washes out, no problem.

Inika Makeup
Inka make up is another brand of makup that I use, it is very similar to bare minerals.It is very light and if feels totally natural on your face.
http://www.inikacosmetics.co.uk/_catalog_64107/Face

Shampoo and conditioner can be a bit of a hit and miss affair. I used to use Avalon products but I found these to be very drying, so recently I have switched to Dr Organics. This range can be found in Holland and Barret's. Dr Organics  has a variety of products to choose from. I use their soap, shampoo and conditioner. I love their soap, especially the vitamin e, lavender, pomegranate and the tea tree selection! It is a bit more expensive but I think it is worth it - to get a product free from toxic chemicals
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com

Sometimes it's hard to know how to trust a cosmetic label.

You need to be careful when selecting your product because sometimes the label is like reading double dutch!For example Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, a foaming ingredient (surfactant), is "derived from" coconut, yet it is a toxic ingredient known to cause severe skin irritations.    

I would like to take a moment and talk about the use of parabens in cosmetics. It is a controversial issue, as some studies have suggested that they are potentially highly dangerous. Research has shown a possible link to breast cancer, although not enough is currently known about this connection to draw any conclusive links, but parabens are definitely a worry for many people, especially as they are found in almost all of our everyday cosmetics and toiletries.

What are Parabens?

Parabens are used in cosmetics as preservatives to lengthen the shelf life of products. They can be found in a range of different toiletries and cosmetics, including shampoo, conditioner, facial cleanser, fake tan, toothpaste and deodorant. They are effective preservatives and cost little to use, which is why they can be found in so many products. It was previously thought that parabens were safe to use as they contain very few toxic chemicals, and allergic reactions to them are rare. However, recent studies have raised doubts as to whether this really is the case.

Why Are They so Controversial?

The use of parabens in cosmetics has attracted widespread concern in recent times, mainly as a result of studies linking it to breast cancer. Parabens were found in samples of breast tumours of breast cancer patients.This information is of particular importance to me as I battled breast cancer last year and I ensure all my deodrants are paraben free. It can be difficult however to get a natural deodorant that is effective as the conventional ones. Again its trial and error and I have found that a particular one will work fine for a couple of months and then suddenly not be as effective as it was.


.

What are the Alternatives?

At this stage, you may well be wanting to know of the alternative options to parabens. Avoiding them is not as easy as you might think, as they can be found in virtually any of the cosmetics and toiletries that are currently lurking in your bathroom cabinet. However, there are other options, and several companies are now offering parabens-free cosmetics and toiletries (particularly deodorants). You may have to pay a bit extra for these, but it will usually be worth it if you are concerned. If you are worried about the possible effects of parabens on your general health, you are not alone. Even though the links to conditions such as cancer are not yet fully proven, experts have advised against using products that are known to contain parabens, and to look for alternative products instead. These are expected to become increasingly popular as people become more aware of the health problems associated with the use of parabens in cosmetics.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment