Friday 23 July 2010

Mumpreneur Article

Jacqueline will ensure you get your Organic Baby Clothes Direct


This week the digimums caught up with lovely mumpreneur Jacqueline Irvine from Newry; mum to two girls and owner of Organic Baby Clothes Direct an online business.
Tell us a little about yourself and your family
I am the founder and owner of an ethical website called Organic Baby Clothes Direct it is the trading name of Gorgeous Eco Baby. I supply organic baby clothes and accessories and I went live to the public in March 2010. I offer a fabulous range of organic clothes and accessories for children 0-6yrs. I am passionate about giving parents the choice of organic natural fabrics, free from toxic, petroleum based chemicals for their precious babies.
This service is intended to make shopping for organic baby clothes easy, enabling customers to live a healthier lifestyle. I am 46yrs young and have been married to my husband Pat who is my best friend and confidant for 23yrs. He is an airline pilot and I have two wonderful daughters, Stephanie who is 14yrs and Victoria who is 12yrs. We live a healthy organic lifestyle, taking part in lots of outdoor activities including, cycling, walking, gliding, golfing  and mountain climbing and living in such close proximity to the Mournes we are spoilt for choice. In fact 6 weeks after completing a course of radiation for breast cancer last year I climbed Slieve Donard for the charity cancer centre in Belfast.
What did you do before you started the business?
My employment background is in Nursing and Clinical Research. I made a decision to give up paid employment until the girls had completed their primary school education. So early last year 2009 my plans to set up my own business were well underway, when totally unexpectedly they took a direct hit – I was diagnosed with breast cancer. The most amazing thing was I never at any stage thought ‘why me’ or ‘poor me’. I got the diagnosis and immediately I began to focus on getting the operation, getting the treatment started so I could be well again to complete what I had started  - setting up and running my own business. That is exactly what I did. I stayed positive and focused on my goal.
What was your inspiration for starting up your own business?
It sounds really cliché but I have always wanted to start up my own business but to be honest I never had the inner confidence you need to execute such a task. Going through the journey last year made me realise that I possess a core inner strength that makes me feel quite humble and grateful. I honestly believe that I can do anything I want to do if I focus my energy on it.
What did you have to do to get your business up and running?
Once I made the decision to start my business I enrolled for the Go For It Programme with Invest NI. This gave me an overall insight into the setting up process and I found this enlightening and helped build my confidence as well. I think the most important thing I did was to join The Federation of Small Businesses. This gave me access to free banking which is fantastic for new start ups.
What support did you get then and what, if any, support do you get now?
Most of my support came from my family. One bank told told me they would not be interested in my business because it was too high risk, yet the Federation of Small Businesses can provide banking through the co-operative bank for free.
How do you balance running a successful business and family life?
I work from home so I am available for my girls when they need me. My husband’s job can take him away sometimes but the variety in our lives I find quite stimulating. I don’t like routine much; I have always been quite an impulsive person.
What is your routine of an average day e.g. from what time you get up, what you do before you leave in the morning to a day in the business?
I get up at 7am and drive the girls to school at 8.15. After I check my emails, I process my orders and dispatch them. This is followed by ordering, checking with suppliers and updating my website, not to mention the social media side of things which is essential. If my husband is at home we will go for a 10mile cycle on the tow path. We would do this 4 times a week. Then it’s time to get the girls from school. Dinner is usually around 6pm and we have a family meal. I buy as much organic produce as I can. I am back on the computer again for another hour, checking on my competitors and looking at my own stats etc. Bedtime is around 10pm
How do you market your business?
I have used press releases, baby magazines, glossy magazines such as The Ulster Tatler, actually I have an 80 word editorial and advertisement in the August edition. I am planning to go to a few baby shows and an Eco show this year so that will also help the marketing campaign. Social Media is essential when running a business, so it requires attention as well.
What has been your biggest success so far?
Although I have only been trading a short while I have enjoyed recent success by winning ‘The Best Green Business’ in the Greater Newry Area Awards 2010. Just to make it sweeter I beat Sainsbury’s! It felt great to have been nominated; I never thought I would win so I was ecstatic when they called out my name. It was a fantastic evening with over 400 people in attendance. I was very proud to receive the award. I have also been nominated for Best Green Business in the Mumpreneur Awards 2010, the shortlist will be announced at the end of July and the finals are scheduled for September2010, so fingers crossed for that as well.  I am also in with the chance of winning ’The Most Inspirational Mumpreneur’. This takes place in Warwickshire England.
What advice would you give to other mums thinking of starting up a business?
The one piece of advice I would give other mum’s thinking of starting up a business is to believe in yourself. When you truly believe in yourself you can accomplish whatever you desire. Surround yourself with positive people and give negative people a wide berth. Think abundance and live in a state of gratitude and good things will come your way. I think that is three things!
What do you do to relax and unwind after a hard working week?
I don’t wait till the end of the week to relax and unwind. I continually work, exercise and play in the course of a day, this is the way I live. Friday night is usually cinema night, and we like to eat out and of course I like an occasional glass of wine. Catching up with friends is fun and most importantly of all I take time out to meditate each day. This is very calming for the soul and helps with the clarity of your mind.
Find out more about Organic Baby Clothes Direct in digimums Shop Local directory
Or take a sneak preview of Organic Baby Clothes Direct beautiful designs in digimums review section

No comments:

Post a Comment